ASEL Explained: What New Pilots Need to Know

One of the first steps to becoming a pilot is obtaining a license. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires all pilots to maintain a license. There are different classes of pilot licenses, however, one of the most common being Airplane, Single Engine, Land (ASEL). Here’s everything you need to know about ASEL certification.

What Is an ASEL Certification?

ASEL certification is the process of obtaining a pilot license to operate airplanes with a single engine. There’s no single or universal pilot license. Rather, there are several classes of pilot licenses. ASEL is a class of pilot license that specifically allows the holder to operate single-engine airplanes.

An ASEL license or certification identifies the holder as being a pilot as being qualified to operate single-engine airplanes that take off and land on land.

Private vs Commercial

ASEL certification can further be broken down into private or commercial. There are private pilot licenses, such as ASEL, and there are commercial pilot licenses.

Private pilot licenses are designed for hobbyists and other individuals who enjoy flying for non-commercial purposes. The minimum age is 17, and it requires at least 35 hours of training.

Commercial pilot licenses, on the other hand, are designed for commercial pilots. All pilots who work for a commercial airline or otherwise charter flights for money are required to maintain a commercial pilot license. The minimum age for a commercial pilot license is 18, and it requires at least 190 hours of training.

What Is an AMEL Certification?

In addition to ASEL certification, there’s AMEL certification. ASEL and AMEL are both “classes” of pilot licenses. Pilot licenses are available for either single-engine or multi-engine airplanes. ASEL refers to the former, whereas AMEL refers to the latter.

To further complicate things, pilot licenses are available for land and sea airplanes. ASEL and AMEL specifically refer to land airplanes. But there are also ASES and AMES licenses available. If you want to operate an airplane that’s capable of taking off and landing at sea, you’ll need one of these licenses. ASES is designed for single-engine seaplanes, whereas AMES is designed for multi-engine seaplanes.

In Conclusion

Obtaining an ASEL certificate gives pilots the privilege of flying single-engine planes for personal enjoyment or recreation. It also opens up opportunities for specific commercial pursuits like teaching flying techniques or engaging in aerial photography, all within the guidelines and privileges set by the FAA.

Looking to Build Your Own Airplane?

Click below to browse Monroe's Aerospace Parts!

Browse Aerospace Parts